Welcome to the #1 KIA Seltos Forum and KIA Seltos community dedicated to KIA Seltos owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Seltos Forum today!

Tow bar kit usage prevents buying a Seltos - help/advice needed !!

Reactions
Hi everyone.
New here because .......
I am an Australian wanting to buy a Seltos, (released here late 2019) but Kia do not recommend using a bike carrier on the Kia tow bar kit. The Kia smallprint online says "Towbar Kit is not suitable for Towball bike carriers".
The download rating on the tow ball is 130kg.
All I can find out by ringing Kia parts employee's etc, is that either this is a liability issue stemming from the fact that most bike carriers have a hitch system to connect them to the car, and there is a lot of play/movement with hitches, and some people may have abused the system and Kia are keeping themselves out of trouble on this issue. OR... The Seltos' rear design is not sufficient in some way to allow bike carriers of any sort to be used.

This is the only issue preventing me from signing up for a Seltos.
With 130kg rating on the tow ball, I'm hoping someone can explain why a bike carrier weighing about 16kg and a 20 kg fatbike could not be mounted on the Seltos safely, and of course used on the highway safely.
I cannot risk an accident to others on the road in any way.

Any ideas or technical information would be much appreciated.
I am really disappointed that this one issue seems to be the difference between me buying this car, and not.
Thanks.

OP
O
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Tallman71. Curious. Doubt the Seltos is a different build in each country !

Tallman71

Reactions
The disclaimer on the aus website says “tow ball style carrier” I am wondering if a hitch style bike mount would be suitable to just slot straight into the receiver

Reactions
I asked my local dealer - "no idea". I posted a query on the website and after 2 emails and a phone call all they could say is "because the bike carrier is not specifically engineered for the towbar". He had no answer when I told him my trailer was not specifically engineered for the towbar either. I suspect it's as simple as the rear door can't be opened when the bike carrier is fitted or the bike may trigger the rear parking sensors or cover the tail lights. Having thought the same as you I have gone ahead and purchased. All will be revealed in late July.

Reactions
The US Kia accessories advertised the hitch for bike racks and advise not for towing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Venn

Reactions
Hi everyone, I’m in same boat as original poster. Very keen to buy a Seltos and get a towball for a bike rack.I see it’s been a couple of years since the original post so hoping someone may have bought and fitted one and can share their experience?! Thanks in advance.

Xzyth

Reactions
I asked my local dealer - "no idea". I posted a query on the website and after 2 emails and a phone call all they could say is "because the bike carrier is not specifically engineered for the towbar". He had no answer when I told him my trailer was not specifically engineered for the towbar either. I suspect it's as simple as the rear door can't be opened when the bike carrier is fitted or the bike may trigger the rear parking sensors or cover the tail lights. Having thought the same as you I have gone ahead and purchased. All will be revealed in late July.
How'd you go? I've ordered a 2023 Seltos and only just discovered this issue.